The United Kingdom (UK) is home to some of the world’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning, including some of the world’s best universities. It is known for its high educational standards, dynamic teaching methods, and high-achieving pupils.
It offers outstanding research and development opportunities as well as extensive exposure to leadership, analytical thinking, and practical topic application abilities.
Whether it’s the QS World University Rankings or the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, UK universities are prominently included in the global university rankings. There are about 400 universities in the United Kingdom.
What attracts you for United Kingdom?
- Home to some of the top universities in the world like Oxford, Cambridge and Kings
- Affordable living expense and education
- Highest rating for student satisfaction
- Availability of both short and long-term courses
- Post study work opportunity up to 2 years
- High employability rate
- Part time work opportunity of 20 hours per week during course
Education System in UK:
Education in the UK is divided into four regions: England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. All the four regions have individual education frameworks starting from qualification requirements, credit framework, eligibility, rules and regulations. The major difference is found in the general and secondary levels;
- Primary Education
- Secondary Education
- Tertiary Education
- Higher Education
- Master programs are two type
- Postgraduate Taught
- Post Graduate Research
Industry and jobs:
- Finance is the top industry in the UK. High salaried jobs are:
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Business Management Consultant
- Audit Assistant
- Business Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Design Engineer
Salary ranges between 26000 GBP to 55000 GBP.
- The Russell Group of Universities:
The Russel groups of 24 universities are of the highest category and research intensive universities.
- University of Birmingham
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Leeds
- University of Cambridge
- King’s College London
- University of Exeter
- University of Liverpool
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- University of Manchester
- Queen’s University Belfast
- London Business School
- Judge Business School
- University of Oxford- Said Business School
- Imperial College Business School
- Warwick Business School
- University of Edinburgh Business School
- Lancaster University Management School
Freshers MBA university: Acceptance of MBA without previous work experience:
- University of West London
- Anglia Ruskin
- University of Bedfordshire
- Middlesex University
- Coventry University
Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate Program :-
- SAT is not required apart from the top league universities like Cambridge, Oxford, UCL.
- UCAS Tariff Points- Typical 112
- Average academic background
- Optional score in eligibility exams IELTS/IELTS UKVI
- Strong recommendation letter
- To the point statement of purpose, comprehensive essay and resume.
- Certificates of merit and other co- curricular activities
- Strong grades to get scholarship
- Average academic background
- Good Universities need more than 85% in class XII board exam
- With 75% onwards student get admit from decent university
- There is an opportunity for1 year Foundation Program before going to the main program if the student does not meet the eligibility criteria.
- English Proficiency Test is Mandatory : IELTS is suggested.
- Generally the deadline is 15thJanuary , so the students are suggested to submit UCAS application with Class X Mark-sheet, Predicted Score( teacher has to send) , Personal Statement and one reference letter.
- Resume or Essays are not required for UK
Eligibility Criteria for Masters/MBA
- Universities accepts 15 years of education for master programs
- Average academic background
- Letter of acceptance with approximately 2.2 or 2.1 in some universities
- Optional score in eligibility exams GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL
- Strong recommendation letters
- Updated resumes for MBA
- To the point statement of purpose, essays and resumes
- Certificates of merit and co-curricular activities
- Good grades for scholarship
- Mater program are of two types
- MS Taught
- MS Research
Academic Cycle and Deadlines:
- Summer-May ( not for International students)
Major intakes are September and January
Both the application are rolling application upto June 30th but apply at the earliest
When to apply:
Ideal timeline is to start the process 10-12 months earlier to the intake. Universities take 9-10 weeks to send the offer of acceptance.
How to apply:
Ideal timeline for Fall and Spring
Fall Intake :-
March-Aug – Test Taking
July-Oct – Short listing of university
Nov-Dec – Finalizing University and application
Dec-Feb – Admit decisions
March-May – Visa application
June- August – Departure
Students can apply for a UK visa after receiving CAS and students can apply 90 days prior to course commencement date.
For Master : Student can apply without IELTS score and if he meets the entry requirement he will receive a conditional offer letter, but then he has to send an IELTS score card to receive Unconditional offer letter.
Spring Intake :-
March-June – Test Taking
April-July – Shortlisting University
July-Oct – Finalizing University and application
Oct-Dec – Admission Decision
Nov-Dec – Visa Application
Dec-Jan – Departure
Part time and Post study Work Right :-
Part Time- Students can work up to 20 hours per week. Student can choose to work full time on public holidays on and off campus
Full Time: Students are eligible for a 2 year post study work right visa after undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Note: There are options for staying 4 to 6 years post completion of course. There are universities which allow students with low or no IELTS. Example – Coventry and Sheffield.
Cost of Attendance for Undergraduate Program :-
An undergraduate program in the UK is for 3 years mostly apart from rare courses completing in 4 years.
For an undergraduate program per year expenditure ranges between 11000-20000 pounds and approximately 35,000 pounds for medical degrees.
Cost of Attendance for Post Graduate Program :-
Post graduate courses in UK are for 1 year hence tuition fees are cheaper compared to other countries
For a post graduate program course fee ranges from 13000 pounds for tuition and up to 35000 pound for MBA and clinical degrees.
By and large expenditure depends on the university and choice of accommodation. On an average it ranges between 12000 to 15000 pounds